Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a deceased family member or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus getting rid of.
There are plenty of people dealing with loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and several institutions out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the overall population, around 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are over 50 years old
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really troubling. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to multiple health problems from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new studies being released regularly. These health problems can be eliminated and in some situations reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very persuasive point. But that cost can actually be reduced by up to 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can have a tremendous impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can simply give us a call.